Webster Museum
Home Exhibits History Kid's Page About Us Membership Store
Historic Properties
296 Basket Road

The Thayer Farm

296 Basket Road 1863

This home at 296 Basket Road is unique because it is probably the only Webster property that has remained in the same family for 164 years. It is an excellent example of a front gable, side wing, early farmhouse.
Preston Thayer purchased the property in 1844 from William Wylie who in 1825, had built a sawmill on the property. Preston added a gristmill and later, about 1850, built barns on the west side of Basket Road. In 1863, his home was built on the east side of Basket Road.
Preston Thayer was an active member of the Webster community where he was Justice of the Peace for sixteen years. He died in 1909 at 88 years of age. The property passed to Preston’s nephew, Spencer Thayer who remained in the home until his death in 1972.
Today, the home has been lovingly maintained by Sue Thayer, wife of Richard Thayer, and Spencer Thayer’s daughter-in-law, who has lived at 296 Basket Road since 1953. The house and about nine acres remain today and very few changes have been made to the house since it was built in 1863.

580 Bay Road 580 Bay Road

The Miller Farm - Altland - Dutro

580 Bay Road c. 1868

This c.1868 brick Italianate style house, situated on 1.25 acres was part of an original 90 Acre farm as referenced on an 1872 Webster map.
The house belonged to a G. Miller and appears to have been built in two stages. A brick by the back window is carved with the date 1868. Included on the property are a garage, a stone milk and pig house, and a well pump. In 1910, the living room was remodeled to the Arts and Crafts style and the original floor to ceiling windows were raised. The ceilings were 12 high and are now 10 feet high. The original Victorian chandelier remains in the dining room.
In 2003, the previous owner renovated the back section with a period – style kitchen and back porch. Susanna and Owen Altland-Dutro, current owners have maintained and restored this period home with sensitive window replacement and restored trim work using salvaged wood and glass.

734 Hard Road 734 Hard Road

Perdue House

734 Hard Road c.1868

The Perdue house at 734 Hard Road is a brick gable, front side wing style home and a fine example of the preservation of architectural integrity. The building remains the same as when it was built, c.1868. There are no fireplaces, so the corbel style chimneys would have been for stoves. There have been many owners and it is most fortunate that there have been few changes made to the house. Doors, windows, the Italianate porch posts, shutters, three oculus (round) windows and water table are all original as are the plank floors and gracious staircase. Even the original privy is still attached to the back of the house and accessed through the wood shed. A summer kitchen is in the back and a stairway leads to a small attic.

865 Klem Road 865 Klem Road

Langdon - Bauerschmidt Home

865 Klem Road c.1830

Built in c.1830, 865 Klem Road is a fine example of a postmedival English style house. The house is built of bricks made in Webster by its first owner, Fayette Langdon. Mr. Langdon and his family farmed and grew fruit on 76 Acres.
The center entrance colonial has walls of three course brick with no insulation. Plaster on brick finishes the walls. The house also includes Christian solid wood doors with original thumb latches, ash floors and the original block ceilings. An original lean-to shed is attached to the back of the house. An addition was built on the east side in the late 1800s but was removed in the 1950s or 1960s.
Present owners, Robert and Irene Bauerschmidt, purchased the house in 1978 and have carefully maintained and restored the property. Previous owners include the Billings, Stumph, McUmber and Close families.

1221 Lake Road 1221 Lake Road

The Woodhull - Flinn Adams House

1221 Lake Road c.1806

The house at 1221 Lake Road, on the corner of Burnett Road was built by Robert Woodhull around 1806 and stayed in the pioneer families of the Woodhulls, Burnetts, and Fosters for 170 years!
A tour of the property and its many outbuildings – an ice house, smoke house, and a gambrel roofed barn, is a vivid reminder of how different life was for our ancestors. Each day they labored to provide life’s necessities – food and shelter. Inside the house is the original brick fireplace with wrought iron fixtures. The bricks were made on the property. The floors are of original hard pine and some are of newer strip oak. The striking wood beams are noteworthy – some with remaining bark.
Built between 1806 and 1809, 1221 is among of handful of houses remaining from this early decade.

394 Phillips Road 394 Phillips Road

The C.S. Wright - Naujokas Residence

394 Phillips Road c. 1856

The Wright-Naujokas home at 394 Phillips Road was built in the Italianate style. Characteristic of this architecture is the cupola with a wood finial and low-hipped rooflines and broad eaves. The cupola provided not only ventilation but was also used as a scenic outlook when the house was built. Notice the five chimneys as well as the carriage block and hitching post in the front yard. The property has a barn of the period, a carriage house and a chicken coop.
The land deed goes back to Caleb Lyon, Webster’s first permanent settler. John Robb purchased the property from Lyon and passed it on to his daughter Sabrina who married Charles S. Wright.
Around 1865, Charles and Sabrina Wright built 394 Phillips Road out of native brick and included an imported Italian marble fireplace. Mr. Wright was a prominent Websterite and served as Supervisor between 1860 and 1880.

920 Salt Road 920 Salt Road

The Wells - Wagner Farm

920 Salt Road c. 1825

The Wells – Wagner Farm at 920 Salt Road is Webster's best example of an early Greek Revival style building as all of the architectural elements have been preserved. According to "A Field Guide to American Houses," Greek Revivals were built between 1825 and 1850 in this area. A careful study of the design, basement beams, foundation, the front door with sidelights, interior doors and hardware, the large fireplace complete with a crane and a double Dutch oven, the windows, roof returns and corner pilasters, indicate that the house was built during the early end of this period.
Diane and Bob Wagner have carefully restored this fine Greek Revival home, along with the grounds and the outbuildings, since they purchased the property in 1976. The historic plaque is recognition by the Town of Webster of their dedication to the preservation of community history.

1144 Shoecraft Road 1144 Shoecraft Road

The Cook - Semmler - Pratt - Roberts House

1144 Shoecraft Road c. 1830

1144 Shoecraft Road is an early stone farmhouse. The sides are cobblestone - evenly matched sizes and rows and the back is fieldstone. The lower front stones are covered with a cement substance and the upper cobblestones were covered with stucco in the 1940s. Windowsills, lintels and corner quoins are all cut limestone. There is a brick floor in the south part of the cellar and in one wall there is a barrel oven and the remains of a cooking area. The cistern is also in this part of the cellar and the well pump is directly outside. The back part of the house is one story and most likely was a pantry, woodshed and two bedrooms. Beams for this one story section are three tree trunks, some with bark, that run the length of the house. The stonewalls are 12 -15 inches thick and the interior walls are covered with original plaster. Doors, windows and basswood and ash floors are all original. Craig and Sharon Pratt, former owners, simply removed the layers of "modernization" to restore this stone house to much of its original state.

1024 Shoemaker Road 1024 Shoemaker Road

The Bradshaw - Goldstein Home

1024 Shoemaker Road c. 1868

Known history of this lovely, spacious, front gable, side wing style home dates back to 1816 when John Hornby of Great Britain sold 293 Acres of land to Benjamin Burnett for $1,026. Benjamin’s next of kin, Delia, inherited the property. A wood frame house was built on the property c. 1868.
In 1878 there was a large two-story addition. At the time, the owners were Delia Burnett Bradshaw and her husband, Isaac. Subsequent owners were Minnie Spall Miller (1904-1929), James and Pearl DeBrine (1929-1986), Ken and Kathy Keenahan (1986-1994), William and Faith Addiss (1994-1996), and Steve and Diane Goldstein (1996-present). The Keenahans did major indoor renovations.
They wrote to a Bradshaw descendant asking for information about how the house looked originally and obtained a photo taken in 1878. Restoration of the open porch was based on this photo. The Goldsteins continue to be good stewards of this fine property. Further renovations include refinishing the original floors, putting on a new roof with architectural shingle, installing period appropriate moldings in the dining, living and family rooms, as well as well as plaster restoration and painting.

524 Webster Road 524 Webster Road

The Robb - DeLeo House

524 Webster Road 1849

524 Webster Road is a Greek Revival upright and wing style. It seems likely that between 1834 and 1849 an architecturally more elaborate house was built to replace a starter home, considering the increase in property value. The property was then purchased by Sarah Ann Robb, who lived there until her death in 1892. Denny and Marion DeLeo, the fifth owners of the property, bought the property on 2.5 acres in 1968.
The construction of the original upright part of the house is post and beam. The house was built in sections and all retain a fieldstone foundation. In 1968, the house still had its original clapboards and the original shake cedar roof. All of the original exterior appointments had been maintained except for modernizing the front and rear porches and removing the 6 over 6 windows. Original shutters were lost too. By 1977 the original clapboards had to be replaced. As well, the front porch added in 1940 was removed and new columns were added, designed from drawings from Carl Schmidt’s book, Greek Revival Details. In 1978, a cistern with walls and a covering of Medina stone 3’X4’X4’ deep, was discovered. This type of rock is prevalent throughout this area.

We're on Facebook We're on Pinterest
18 Lapham Park Webster, New York  14580  858.265.3308
Webster Museum