The Jayne & Mason Bank
On June 4, 1900, William C. Jayne and George G. Mason formed a partnership and opened the banking house of Jayne and Mason in a building on South Avenue, which later was the location of the Netzman warehouse, remaining there about five years or until the bank building at 11 East Main Street was erected in 1905. The new building was equipped with a steel lined vault with a heavy York door and time lock. It was protected by a modern burglar alarm system, and supplied with all modern equipment.
Eleven E. Main Street now houses Nest Things. A shop filled with lovingly used children's clothing, decorative items for the home, and many beautiful things.
But in 1905 the Jayne and Mason bank was much needed and appreciated by the general public in the territory of West Webster, Union Hill, Ontario, Walworth, Marion, Palmyra and Penfield. It proved to be a great success from the first day when nearly every business firm in the village and nearby area opened accounts. Although the bank started in a small way with $5000 capital, it grew in a few years to be a million dollar institution with deposits of over a million and a quarter.
The bank did general banking, financed and handled all five issues of United States Liberty Bonds during World War I, and had banking connections with Chase National Bank of New York City.
In the summer of 1930, the banking laws of the State changed and the private bank was forced to close its doors. In 1934 the New York State Legislature passed a law which permitted city banks to establish branch banks in certain designated trading areas of communities lacking banking facilities. Webster was selected as the first town in the State to have such a regional bank, and the Union Trust Company of Rochester, part of the Marine Midland Corp. was chosen to open the first bank.
This two story building features the classically inspired detailing found in Beaux Arts style commercial buildings of the late 19th and early 20th century. The first story features patterned brick walls in a rusticated design, large arched windows and door. Highly decorated brick lintels surround both the 1st story windows and doorways. Symmetrically placed 2/2 double hung windows are found in the 2nd story with decorative arched brick lintel and corner quoins. The buildings cornice included dentil, pointed, and horizontal bands of brick detailing.
The building is without question; the villages most sophisticated early 20th century commercial building and was certainly designed by an architect (whose identity has not been determined), as it shows an awareness of popular commercial building style at that time.
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
11 E. Main St.
NRHP Reference: *06000970
Added to NRHP: November 1, 2006
Webster's National Register Properties
Jayne and Mason Bank Building, 11 E. Main Street
William C. Jayne House, 183 E. Main Street
George G. Mason House, 39 Dunning Avenue
Webster Baptist Church, 59 South Avenue
WEBSTER MUSEUM AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY
18 Lapham Park Webster, New York 14580 585.265.3308